Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Birds...

Yesterday I watched (not for the first time) Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds.

SPOILERS-SPOILERS-SPOILERS-SPOILERS

I can't get over how frustrating the ending of the movie is. I like to think that the bird attacks cease. While Mitch, Melanie, Lydia, and Cathy are walking to the car the birds almost seem a bit docile.
I've read some places that maybe the attacks reprisent Lydia's anger toward Melanie. But that doesn't really make sense, if that were so surely the birds would leave everyone else alone?
The impression I had after watching it the first time was that the bird attacks stopped once Lydia (Mitch's mother), changed. If you'll remember there's a scene where she talks to Melanie. She says she wishes she could be stronger, a more brave person. In the end scene where Melanie is brutally ravaged by the birds in the upstairs bedroom, you see not only Mitch at the door trying to drag her body in but also Lydia. After that instance she seems changed.
I really really wish I knew what the whole point of it all was! My brother is convinced the whole thing is just "because"--that there's no real reason. But come on, it's HITCHCOCK. Even if there's not a concrete, logical explanation for the bird attacks, there must be some underlying theme that fits in with it all. I think I'll have to watch it several more times soon...I'm determined to crack this. :P

Also. I really don't want this blog to fall to the wayside like so many of my other failed attempts have. So comment away and hopefully that will keep me motivated! :)

6 comments:

  1. Commenting :D

    I still haven't seen that, and now I'm going to have to!

    -This is Morgan BTW...

    ReplyDelete
  2. *comments*

    *goes into her usual "Huzzah, one of my friends got a blog!!!" mode*

    Love the title. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh The Birds! A classic movie! The ending has always got to me too, and if you have seen a lot of Hitchcock's other movies, you will find he does a lot of things "just because". I know it's annoying, but I think that was just the way he was, and that he wanted us to go through life asking us the questions, such as you have above! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "fromthemixedupfilesof." is a cute name for your blog. :) I agree with your statement about there having to be an underlying theme for the movie. Haven't seen it, but it sounds...interesting.

    I'll be a frequent visitor, I hope, of this blog. =] So keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great name for your blog!

    I've not seen Hitchcock's movie, but it's based on a short story of the same name by Daphne du Maurier (of Rebecca fame). I didn't find a point to the short story either. It was just birds attacking, from what I rememeber. :/

    ReplyDelete